Friday, April 06, 2007

Sunshine and Haircuts and Bank Holidays

There are many annoying things about living in the UK, the lack of Goldfish crackers and DSWs, for example. One very non-annoying thing is the surplus of bank holidays, especially in the Spring-turns-Summer time of the year. Such good planning on the part of the British government has resulted in time of work on generally very sunny days. Such is the case today and (fingers crossed) Monday as well. The Brits get two official days off for Easter! How brilliant is that?

Of course, the bank holidays in the UK have caused me a great deal of stress in that I never assume that there will be a day off around a Christian holiday, completely forget that it's a Christian holiday, and then send out big steers with required submission dates on said Christian holiday. The recipients of said steers are in two minds of how to deal with such terrible oversights. Most feel that I'm a bit silly and just assume that the deadline is the following day. The others feel the need to phone me up, state explicitly that I have, yet again, scheduled something on a holiday, and then ask me if I really expect them to work over the holiday weekend. To which I generally grit my teeth and let them know very sweetly that early submissions are most welcome, thus negating the need to think about a project over the weekend.

At any rate, silly Brits aside, my plans for the bank holiday weekend are few and far between. I shall be getting my haircut today. Not as exciting as it could be as all I'm going in for is to clean up the current disaster taking residence on my scalp while I continue to try and grow it out. There may be a 10 mile walk on the horizon, should it still be sunny and should Sinead allow me to drag her a** out of bed at a decent time (*tangent: The Brit's *bleep* out the word a** in That Seventies Show) . That's about it for the plans. The household is having some folk 'round on Monday night and I am secretly endeavoring to get them all to play Cranium, which Sinead got for Christmas and has never opened.

Happy Easter - enjoy all the resultant chocolate. (*another sidenote- the UK concept of Easter eggs and Easter chocolate is randomly really different from ours... Rather than rattan baskets filled with Easter grass, jelly beans, and those awful marshmallow chicks, kids in the UK wake up to a big box with an egg (and occasionally a mug, or an egg cup, or some other Easter-related paraphernalia). Is it me or is that crap and unexciting? On the other hand, whenever I try to give Sinead an American-style Easter basket, I end up eating all the candy and cleaning up the Easter grass, so I'm going minimalist this year. The Easter Bunny has brought her a box with a chocolate egg and a Simpson's mug).


Related Links:
British Bank Holildays
Walk in the Cotswolds


Other place to find me:
Couchsurfing

No comments:

of the stalking kind