Sunday, November 15, 2009

Settling Down

Today I'm feeling like I wouldn't give up my little piece of West Yorkshire for the world. And I'm having more and more of those days. Not just when it's sunny, fresh, dancing with rainbows... no. Even the days when I'm hunkered down against the wind, lashings of rain in my face, and my new shoes stained with muck from the rising water on the roads. Even those days if I pause (inside out of the wet and cold) and think about where I am and where I want to be, it's where I am. This is all new to me. I'm not used to being static. I'm less used to liking it.

I'm always happy where I am, but I've always been ready to move on, see the next bit of the world, try a different lifestyle with different people, and change who I am in the process. I've always seen coffee as the only constant, though it's been okay dragging the pets and a wife along on new adventures and new lives.

But the itchy feet are still. And not itching. It feels like a loss rather than a change; to scratch that itch is sheer self-indulgence? And if I'm going to stay put, what other kind of change can I effect in my life to keep myself interested?

No comments:

of the stalking kind